natcleary

Book Lovers Life

I'm a mother and wife but mainly a bookaholic. I read mostly Dystopian, Post Apocalyptic, Urban Fantasy, Fantasy and anything Paranormal.
Poison - Sarah Pinborough, Les Edwards I love fairytale retellings. When I saw this I knew straight away that I'd read it.
This is told mostly from Snow Whites stepmothers, the evil queen, POV. She is only a few years older than Snow White and was forced to marry the king. She is unhappy and extremely jealous of Snow.
Poison is dark, delicious and not something you would read to your kids ;) The author took a classic fairytale and made it her own. Lilith is everything an evil queen should be but you see how and why she is like she is. She is evil to the core but you still feel sorry for her. She longs for the freedom that Snow has.
What I Liked :
Sarah Pinborough threw in elements of different tales in Poison. There's a house made of sweets and a boy called Alladin. It added a different twist to the story.
The dwarves were awesome. Grumpy and Dreamy are featured the most. Snow White is friends with them and often visits them and I loved their friendship.
The story is definitely different to what we are used to. Snow White isn't exactly innocent and the twist at the end was devilish.
I loved the illustrations, they really made the book stand out.
What I Didn't Like :
There isn't much I didn't like in Poison. I think the only thing I didn't like was that we only get brief bits about the back story of some of the characters. It was frustrating because they were really only teasers and I'd of loved to have found out more.
Overall Poison was a retelling that I didnt expect. It was sexy, dark and the author has created an unforgettable world. I will definitely be reading more from her.